I don’t know about you, but I’ve never met a child who doesn’t like nuggets! They’re a favorite go-to meal, served in our house with potato wedges, steamed veggies and ketchup of course! This is one of my favorite easy vegan dinners for kids, a simple vegan nugget for kids made with tempeh (a fairly neutral tasting, fermented soy-based protein).
I first had tempeh while traveling in Bali, Indonesia and discovered that it was an absolutely wonderful food for vegans. It’s high in protein and fibre and incredibly versatile.
You can crumble it before seasoning and frying to make vegan bacon-flavor crumbles, or create a sweet and salty sticky dish known as tempeh manis, with this thick, sweetened soy sauce from Indonesia (warning- once you try it you will put this stuff on everything!)
But today we are keeping it simple and using tempeh to make the humble nugget- its firm texture makes it ideal for dipping into breadcrumbs and it keeps its shape while cooking.
Even if they’re not the most sophisticated of foods, kids seem to adore this easy vegan dinner and this vegan nugget recipe is simple enough that little ones can grab an apron and help make their own dinner. Good for them, good for you!
All you need to do is gently cook the tempeh in some low-sodium broth for a little while, then dip the tempeh pieces into vegan yogurt and breadcrumbs. Then bake until golden (more healthy than frying) and you’re good to go!
I’d suggest serving these vegan tempeh nuggets for kids with this easy vegan mac and cheese or mashed potato/french fries and some veggies.
All of the ingredients are easy to find, standard store cupboard bits and pieces apart from tempeh. You can get tempeh online and use my exclusive link to get free delivery; the rest of the ingredients you’ll get in any food store.
To keep the recipe simple I haven’t used a ton of seasonings; just some broth for making the tempeh more tender, and a little salt, onion and garlic powder and nutritional yeast to coat. You can add whatever spices you like; go for smoked paprika and chilli for a southern-fried style nugget, or keep it easy and serve with dipping sauces.
- Two 8oz packets of tempeh
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (ensure gluten free if needed)
- 3/4 cup plain vegan yogurt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 cups vegan panko breadcrumbs (gluten free if needed)
1. Cut each block of tempeh into 20 equal nuggets each (40 total)
2. Place the broth and tempeh into a saucepan, bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes before draining.
3. While the tempeh is cooling combine the yogurt and onion powder in a bowl. In another bowl place the breadcrumbs.
4. Preheat the oven to 375 F and place baking parchment on a large baking tray.
5. Dip each nuggest into the yogurt mixture and then into the breadcrumbs, evenly coating them.
6. Place on the baking tray and bake for 24 minutes until golden, flipping halfway through.
7. Serve and enjoy! Leftovers will keep for upto 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 210Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 15g
Nutritional information is provided as a courtesy only and is approximate. I cannot be held responsible for any results or effects that occur as a result of action taken by readers as a result of reading anything on this website. Recipes may be adapted.